Orbits Tutorial by James Tauber
An in-progress collection of visualisations and mathematical explanations of Kepler's orbital model:
- 10. Kepler's First Law
- 12. Eccentricity and the Semi-Major/Semi-Minor Axes
- 15. Relationship between Focal Points and Eccentricity
- 17. Sum of the Distances to the Focal Points
- 18. Relationship Between Semi-Major and Semi-Minor Axes
- 19. Putting Together the Mathematics So Far
- 22. Argument of Periapsis
- 24. First Three Orbital Elements of the Planets
- 26. Inclination
- 30. Kepler's Second Law
- 40. Animated Model of Inner Planets (at no particular time)
- 50. Current Positions of Inner Planets
Lots more coming, though!
The lesson numbers just space things out so I can insert new lessons with more detail later without having to change URLs.
This work is largely based on study I did for the Mars Clock, reinspired by the Telsa Roadster launched by SpaceX's Falcon Heavy.
The visualisations make extensive use of the excellent SVG.js library.